RealNetworks Announces Second Quarter 2020 Financial Results
SEATTLE, Aug. 5, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- RealNetworks, Inc. (Nasdaq: RNWK), a leader in digital media software and services, today announced its financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2020.
"In Q2 Real delivered solid results. We were very pleased with our strong operational execution in the first full quarter of living and working during the global pandemic," said Rob Glaser, Founder, Chairman, and Chief Executive Officer of RealNetworks. "We generated a 9% year-over-year increase in our core revenue when not including Napster. In addition, we narrowed our adjusted EBITDA loss, our fourth consecutive quarter of year-over-year improvement in this metric. We are putting an appropriate amount of fuel into our growth businesses while also closely managing our overall expenses."
Mr. Glaser continued, "We were excited to introduce two new consumer products in commemoration of the 25anniversary of the streaming industry. RealPlayer® 20/20 and StarSearch™ by Real® utilize the power of AI and our SAFR computer vision platform to make streaming in today's world even better. In addition, we are continuing to enhance our world-class SAFR platform and service focused primarily on the traditional security and safety markets along with innovations focused on new needs at the intersection of public health and public safety. In particular, we were honored to be awarded two SBIR contracts by the U.S. Air Force. These contracts both enable us to continue to enhance the SAFR platform and also support the important missions of our U.S. armed forces while enhancing their safety."
- Revenue was $40.4 million compared to $43.1 million in the prior quarter and $44.2 million in the prior year period. RealNetworks' core revenue without Napster was $17.1 million, up 2% from $16.8 million in the prior quarter and up 9% from $15.7 million in the prior year period.
- Games revenue was $7.5 million, up 12% compared to $6.6 million in the prior quarter and up 23% compared to $6.0 million in the prior year period.
- Gross profit margin was 43%, down from 44% in the prior quarter and up from 38% in the prior year period. RealNetworks' core gross profit margin without Napster was 75%, down from 76% in the prior quarter and up from 73% in the prior year period.
- Operating expenses decreased $1.8 million, or 7%, from the prior quarter and decreased $4.1 million, or 15%, from the prior year period.
- Net loss attributable to RealNetworks was $(5.1) million, or $(0.13) per diluted share, compared to a net loss of $(4.6) million, or $(0.12) per diluted share, in the prior quarter and a net loss of $(9.2) million, or $(0.24) per diluted share, in the prior year period.
- Adjusted EBITDA was a loss of $(2.2) million compared to a loss of $(3.3) million in the prior quarter and a loss of $(6.3) million in the prior year period.
- At June 30, 2020, the Company had $19.7 million in unrestricted cash and cash equivalents compared to $19.0 million at March 31, 2020.
- On June 1, 2020, the Company received a second letter from Nasdaq Staff indicating that the Company had regained compliance with Nasdaq Listing Rule 5450(a)(1). Nasdaq Staff further indicated that the matter is now closed.
- On July 9, 2020, The RealNetworks Foundation, a philanthropic arm of RealNetworks, Inc., allocated an additional $1 million in grants for 2020 to help address the immediate needs stemming from racial injustice and COVID-19, two historic challenges that have disproportionally impacted communities of color. The RealNetworks Foundation has directed $500,000 to each cause, applying the funds to both local and national recipients. More information on the RealNetworks Foundation can be found at https://www.realnetworks.com/realnetworks-foundation.
- On August 4, 2020, the Company announced the appointment of Mike Ensing to the position of President and Chief Operating Officer, succeeding Max Pellegrini. Mr. Ensing previously served as interim CFO and as a strategic advisor to the Company from early January to early May of this year. Mr. Ensing will assume worldwide responsibility for the operations of Real's core businesses and will help guide strategic decision-making.
Given the ongoing uncertainty surrounding the global economy and the future impact of COVID-19, RealNetworks is not providing guidance for the third quarter ending September 30, 2020.
RealNetworks will host a conference call today to review its results and discuss its performance at approximately 4:30 p.m. ET / 1:30 p.m. PT. Participants may join the conference call by dialing 1-855-327-6837 (United States) or 1-631-891-4304 (International). A telephonic replay of the call will also be available shortly after the completion of the call, until 11:59 pm ET on Wednesday, August 26, 2020, by dialing 1-844-512-2921 (United States) or 1-412-317-6671 (International) and entering the replay pin number: 10010362.
A live webcast will be available on RealNetworks' Investor Relations site under the Events & Presentations section at http://investor.realnetworks.com and will be archived online upon completion of the conference call.
Building on a legacy of digital media expertise and innovation, RealNetworks has created a new generation of products that employ best-in-class artificial intelligence and machine learning to enhance and secure our daily lives. SAFR (www.safr.com) is the world's premier facial recognition platform for live video. Leading in real-world performance and accuracy as evidenced in testing by NIST, SAFR enables new applications for security, convenience, and analytics. For information about our other products, visit www.realnetworks.com.
To supplement RealNetworks' consolidated financial information presented in accordance with GAAP in this press release, the company also discloses certain non-GAAP financial measures, including adjusted EBITDA and contribution margin by reportable segment, which management believes provide investors with useful information.
In the financial tables of our earnings press release, RealNetworks has included reconciliations of GAAP net income (loss) including noncontrolling interests to adjusted EBITDA and operating income (loss) by reportable segment to contribution margin by reportable segment.
The rationale for management's use of non-GAAP measures is included in the supplementary materials presented with the quarterly earnings materials. Please refer to Exhibit 99.2 ("Information Regarding Non-GAAP Financial Measures") to the company's report on Form 8-K, which is being submitted today to the SEC.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties, including statements relating to our current expectations regarding our future growth, profitability, and market position, our financial condition and liquidity, our strategic focus and initiatives, product plans, agreements with partners, use of loan proceeds, our ability to maintain compliance with Nasdaq listing standards, and the growth and future prospects relating to our Napster segment. All statements contained in this press release that do not relate to matters of historical fact should be considered forward-looking statements. These statements reflect our expectations as of today, and actual results may differ materially from the results predicted. Factors that could cause actual results for RealNetworks, on a consolidated basis, to differ from the results predicted include: our ability to realize operating efficiencies, growth and other benefits from the implementation of our growth initiatives and restructuring efforts; cash usage and conservation, and the pursuit of additional funding sources; successful monetization of our products and services; competitive risks, including the emergence or growth of competing technologies, products and services; potential outcomes and effects of claims and legal proceedings; risks associated with key customer or strategic relationships and business acquisitions; challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic; disruptions in the global financial markets, including changes in consumer spending and impacts to credit availability; fluctuations in foreign currencies; and unique risk factors that relate to our Napster segment, such as risks stemming from its streaming music service and related music royalties. More information about potential risk factors that could affect our business and financial results is included in RealNetworks' annual report on Form 10-K for the most recent year ended December 31, 2019, its quarterly reports on Form 10-Q and in other reports and documents filed by RealNetworks from time to time with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The preparation of our financial statements and forward-looking financial guidance requires us to make estimates and assumptions that affect the reported amount of assets and liabilities, and revenues and expenses during the reported period. Actual results may differ materially from these estimates under different assumptions or conditions. RealNetworks assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements or information, which are in effect as of their respective dates.
Investor Relations for RealNetworks
Kimberly Orlando, Addo Investor Relations