REALNETWORKS, INC., AND AFFILIATED ENTITIES
Last modified: December 14, 2017
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
RealNetworks collects information as necessary to operate effectively, provide and improve the products and services we offer, communicate with you, and provide effective customer support. Such information can include:
- Your name and contact details such as email address, mailing address, and phone number;
- Billing information, such as credit card number, when you make a purchase;
- Demographic information such as your gender or language preference;
- Information relating to your use of our products and services, for example information relating to photographs or videos you upload to RealPlayer or add to RealTimes, content you download using RealPlayer including domains associated with such content, geo-location information or patterns associated with photographs or videos to enable features in RealTimes, data relating to your interaction with a game including your player ID, and activities on our websites such as pages visited;
- Information about your computer or mobile device such as your unique device ID (persistent/ non-persistent, MAC or IMEI), hardware, software, platform, and Internet Protocol (IP) address.
When you are asked to provide personal information, you may decline. But if you choose not to provide information that is necessary to provide a service, you may not be able to use that service.
RealNetworks does not intentionally or knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13.
HOW DO WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION?
RealNetworks uses information to enable our operations and to provide our products and services, including:
- Deliver to you and bill you for RealNetworks products and services;
- Verify access rights to premium content or other access-restricted services and software;
- Determine if your device meets minimum system requirements to use our products, and provide information concerning compatibility and interoperability;
- Auto-update downloaded products;
- Provide personalized content recommendations, language and location customization, and/or personalized help and instructions;
- Develop aggregated statistics that help us better understand how our products are used and to market them;
- Improve our software and services, such as fixing problems and continually improving the performance of features you may use such as facial recognition or content recommendations;
- Track content use for the purpose of paying royalties and license fees to third party providers; and
- Communicate with you, such as sending you messages concerning your account and customer service issues; asking you to participate in surveys; and delivering news, updates, targeted advertising, promotions, and special offers.
HOW DO WE KEEP PERSONAL INFORMATION SECURE?
RealNetworks is committed to protecting your personal information. We use the following controls to protect your personal information:
- Use of secure connections using SSL to safeguard information when transmitted from your Web browser to RealNetworks;
- Use of security controls to restrict access to databases housing personal information;
- Use of encryption for sensitive personal information, such as credit card numbers and user names;
- Limited employee access to databases containing personal information and confidentiality requirements imposed upon employees who do; and
HOW DO WE COLLECT AND USE INFORMATION ON SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES?
WHAT INFORMATION MAY BE COLLECTED BY THIRD-PARTY COMPANIES?
When you visit our website or use our products or services, certain third-party companies can collect information as part of serving ads, providing analytics services, or delivering content or plug-ins.
The advertising companies we work with typically use third-party cookies and/or web beacons to collect a unique ID number in combination with information such as click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over during your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. On mobile devices, these adverting companies sometimes collect and use this information along with advertising IDs provided by the mobile operating systems –such as the Android advertising ID and/or Apple's ID for advertising. These advertising IDs can be controlled or reset through your mobile operating system settings. To learn more about third-party targeted advertising, you can visit either the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) or the Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA), which each provide an easy way to opt out of ad targeting from participating companies. Similarly, for Europe you can visit the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA) and for Canada you can visit Ad Choices: Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada (DAAC) / Choix de Pub: l'Alliance de la publicité numérique du Canada (DAAC).
We also use third-party analytics providers such as Google Analytics to help us compile aggregated statistics about the operation and effectiveness of our websites. Analytics providers set or read their own cookies or other identifiers on your device, through which they can collect information about your use of our websites and those of other companies. You can learn more about Google Analytics, including how to opt-out, by visiting Google’s Privacy & Terms for Partners.
When you search for specific content on RealNetworks websites, the search terms may be embedded in the "search string" that appears in the URL display window of your web browser. Certain advertising services or third-party content providers may associate these search strings with cookies they set or retrieve from our pages.
WHEN AND HOW DO WE SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES?
RealNetworks may disclose relevant information about our customers to our contractors in order for them to provide specific services for RealNetworks. For an example RealNetworks shares personal information with third party payment processors for billing purposes. RealNetworks contractors are bound to keep all personal information they process confidential.
RealNetworks may transfer personal information in connection with a sale, merger, transfer, exchange or other disposition (whether of assets, stock or otherwise) of all or a portion of a business of RealNetworks and/or its subsidiaries.
Finally, RealNetworks may disclose your personal information, including the content of files you upload using RealNetworks’ products or services, if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law; (b) comply with the order of a competent judicial authority in any jurisdiction; (c) comply with legal process served on RealNetworks; (d) protect and defend the rights or property of RealNetworks; or (e) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of RealNetworks products or the public at large.
HOW TO MANAGE E-MAIL COMMUNICATIONS FROM REALNETWORKS
RealNetworks will send marketing e-mail messages to you only in accordance with your preferences. You may change your communications preferences at any time by either (a) selecting the opt-out option in any marketing message you receive or (b) if you have created an online account with RealNetworks, changing your account setting to select whether to receive marketing messages. Note that separate RealNetworks products, services and lines of business may send separate newsletters and marketing emails to you, which you may have to manage separately. We may also send you certain essential (non-promotional) e-mail about products or services you have previously purchased or to inform you about critical technical service issues relating to a RealNetworks product or service.
HOW TO ACCESS AND UPDATE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
To access your account information and preferences, select "Manage My Account" from the menus in the RealPlayer (usually under the "Help" menu) or other RealNetworks consumer software. Sign in to your account and modify your information and preferences as needed.
If you created an account with RealNetworks, you may review and update your account on the web at www.real.com or by selecting "My Account" in your RealNetworks product, and logging in using your name and password. If you have forgotten your username or password, you can use our online help resources or contact us by clicking here.
TRANSFER OF DATA TO OTHER COUNTRIES
EU-U.S. AND SWISS-U.S. PRIVACY SHIELD
In some cases, RealNetworks may remain liable if a third party processes personal data on our behalf in a manner inconsistent with the Privacy Shield Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield program, and to view our certification, please visit www.privacyshield.gov.
If you have a question or complaint related to our participation in the Privacy Shield, we encourage you to contact us via our web form. For any complaints related to the Privacy Shield frameworks that cannot be resolved with RealNetworks directly, you may seek resolution of your complaint by contacting the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, the international division of the American Arbitration Association (ICDR-AAA). As further explained in the Privacy Shield Principles, binding arbitration is available to address residual complaints not resolved by other means. RealNetworks is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
CONTACT US ABOUT PRIVACY
P.O. Box 91123
Seattle, WA 98111-9233
Or click here.
© 2017 RealNetworks, Inc.